Mr. Smith specializes in all aspects of U.S. and International trademark law, including trademark prosecution, counseling, opinions, licensing, litigation support and Internet-related rights. Understanding all aspects of Trademark Practice facilitates the strategic development of programs and policies for his clients. Client counseling and appropriate advocacy provides clients with the level of service needed to ensure development, maintenance and protection of their valuable Intellectual Property assets.
Mr. Smith has been invited to lecture on numerous aspects of Trademark Practice and Procedure, by various Intellectual Property Organizations including: The International Trademark Association (INTA); The American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA); The China Trademark Association (CTA); The Arab Society for Intellectual Property (ASIP) Topics include: “ Trademark searching, clearance & registration process “; “ Protecting Chinese Trademarks in the Arab, Latin America and U.S. Regions "; “ Opposition and Litigation Considerations for Chinese Brands expanding into the U.S. “; “ Trademark Procedure Comparison in the offices of the U.S. and Germany “; “ Protection of Well-Known marks in the U.S. “
Mr. Smith was formally a Partner at Shoemaker & Mattare Ltd., (1985-00)- specializing in all aspects of domestic and foreign trademark practice and oversaw development of active network of foreign associates.
Mr. Smith actively supports Domestic and International Intellectual Property Organizations and has served on numerous TM committees.
- INTA Trademark Office Practices Committee- appointed to the Committee for the 2016–2017 term.
- INTA Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee (NTNC). 2011-- 2013; INTA Middle East, Africa, and South Asia (MEASA) Sub-Committee. 2011-- 2013; INTA Programs Committee -- Project Team for Middle East Regional Conference 2013; Non-Traditional Marks Committee (Middle East, Africa, & South Asia Sub-Committee) 2014-2015
- American Bar Association (ABA) Intellectual Property Law Section Committee 254/Voting Member; Special Committee on On-Line Trademark Issues and American Bar Association (ABA) Intellectual Property Law Section Committee 203/Voting Member; Patent and Trademark Affairs/Trademarks.
- AIPLA Trademark Law Committee; AIPLA USPTO (Trademark) Relations Committee; AIPLA TRADEMARK Internet Committee; AIPLA IP Practice in the Far East Committee; AIPLA IP Practice in China Committee; AIPLA International and Foreign Law Committee (IFLC) -- Arabian Practice Subcommittee.
- IPO Trademark Office Practice (US) Committee.
- DC Bar IP Section.
- Georgia Bar IP Section.
- China Trademark Association.
Named in 2013 World IP Survey by Managing Intellectual Property as an IP Star – Key legal specialties: TM Opinion work, Trade Dress, Trademark Clearance, Unfair Competition, TTAB Oppositions, Domain Name Disputes & Internet Related Rights.
Kevin has been selected by the editors of Euromoney magazine as one of the 2017 "Best of the Best" among global Trademark practitioners and is also listed as one of the leading trademark experts in the United States. He is listed in the Euromoney Legal Media Group Guide to The World's Leading Trademark Practitioners from 2004-2014 and 2016, and listed in Who's Who Legal (USA) for Trademarks from 2004-2013. He has also been selected in 2013 as one of Washington DC & Baltimore's Top Rated Lawyers by ALM, publisher of The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel magazines. Kevin Smith has been selected to appear in the 2014, 2016, and 2017 editions of IP Stars from Managing IP (MIP) magazine.
Mr. Smith was elected to and served on the Steering Committee of the District of Columbia Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, from 2004-2007.
Mr. Smith has been an Adjunct Professor of Trademark Law at Georgetown University.