Ms. Drake's concentration is in all aspects of U.S. and International Trademark Law. She advises clients in the business and legal strategies involved in the naming and branding process. Her practice includes trademark clearance and investigations, and expansion and management of global trademark portfolios, and enforcement of trademark rights in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions.
She is an expert on the USPTO trademark registration process and represents clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) in opposition and cancellation actions. She has testified as an expert witness on USPTO practice and procedure.
Ms. Drake was appointed by the Secretary of Commerce in 2011 to serve on the USPTO Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC) and she is currently serving a second term to 2017. The TPAC advises the Under Secretary of Commerce and Directors of the USPTO as it relates to trademark operations.
Ms. Drake has served on the Board of Directors for the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) from 2013 - 2016.
Ms. Drake has served as Chair of the Trademark Relations Committee for the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) and has Chaired Trademark Committees for the International Trademark Association (INTA) and for the District of Columbia Bar Association. Further, Ms. Drake is serving as the Co-chair for the 2018 American Intellectual Property Law Association Mid-Winter Institute.
Ms. Drake was a former Trademark Examining Attorney with the USPTO (1983 - 1987) and a Senior Attorney (1988 - 1990). She prosecuted complex trademark applications in all international classes; trained and evaluated new attorneys; advised pro se applicants and attorneys in procedural and substantive issues pertaining to trademark registration. She was further appointed to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board as a Detailee and drafted final decisions in opposition and cancellation proceedings and prepared decisions on interlocutory matters. She was awarded the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bronze Medal for Superior Federal Service in 1988.
Ms. Drake is a member of The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation (ABF), and has been an Adjunct Professor of Trademark Law at Georgetown University, and is currently serving on the Board of Directors of The Tanzanian Children's Fund.
- Named among top U.S. Lawyers in Euromoney Legal Expert Group - Guide to World's Leading Trademark Law Practitioners 2005 - 2017
- Named Top 250 Women in IP Law - Managing Intellectual Property Euromoney Institutional Investor 2013-2016
- Named in the International Who's Who Leading Trademark Lawyers - American Bar Association Section International Law 2008 - 2017
- Recognized among Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars USA, 2017 for leadership and expertise in trademark law
- Named Guide to World's Leading Women in Business Law - Euromoney Institutional Investor 2010 - 2016
- Named Among Top Washington D.C. Trademark Lawyers - World Trademark Review (WTR 1000) The IP Media Group 2011 - 2017
- Named Among Top Trademark Attorneys - Washingtonian Magazine 2009, 2011, 2013
- Named among top U.S. Trademark Lawyers advising on China related matters. Euromoney Legal Media Group- Guide to Leading Practitioners China 2011
- Named one of Top Women Attorneys in Northeast - Arrive Magazine 2011
- Named Among Top 15 IP Lawyers in Washington D.C. Legal Times - Leading Lawyers Series 2003